Friday 21 December 2012

Denial

Today was my last day in Oxford. Tomorrow morning I am waking up really early to ride a bus and an airplane in order to arrive back int he US.

I honest cannot believe it. It is not that I don't want to believe it, my mind literally cannot seem to grasp this concept. Everyone I know is sad that our time was dwindling, and a bit happy to see their families again, I am not. Not because I have no heart, I just cannot seem to understand what is happening.

I seem to have this idea that I am going to get in a car tomorrow and drive an hour or two and be home, and then in a few weeks I will drive the few hours back. No problem. Except, that is not at all what is happening. In reality I will be dragging a 50 pound mammouth suitcase up a giant hill and then riding over an hour on a bus that will take me to the airport, where I will then check in, check my suitcase, go through security  wait for a few hours, get on an eight hour plane, go through customs, get my suitcase, meet my mom, and ride in a car for three more hours until finally arriving home at almost 11 PM (AKA 4 AM in my brain). Sounds like a party, right?

I am very concerned about the day after tomorrow, December 23rd, when I will wake up in my old bed. I will look around the room and everything will be as it always is when I am home. It will be like I never left, like my entire Oxford adventure never even happened. the entire trip will just be a memory. I think this is what my brain is trying to keep itself from realizing, but there is no way that I will not get the full blast that morning.

I am however, excited to see my family and friends from home. And it will be Christmas! There will be plenty of activities to keep me busy until going back to college, allowing me to try and bury any sad feelings I may find about leaving Oxford.

When I get home, my mom has already said that we are going to make some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and other tasty snacks. I also will need to wrap gifts, make gifts, buy gifts, and give gifts! And then there is all the Christmas classic movies that I will have to be caught up on. So much to do, so little time!

Speaking of time, I am going to have to bid you all adieu for now. Sorry about the strange, short post. I will post some more once I get readjusted into the United States and I hope you have a happy holidays!

Until next time...

Embrace the Odd,
Caitlin

"The author of the Iliad is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name." -Alduos Huxley

No comments:

Post a Comment