Wednesday 12 December 2012

Getting Drinks

Alcohol is a big thing over here, although not in entirely the same way as if is in America. In England the fun thing to do is to go to a pub and drink with your friends, while at home it seems to be more about drinking at home and then heading to club, which there is some of that here as well. But it is still interesting to be invited to drinks with someone just for a fun, relaxing hang out session. I like it.

However, I do not really like alcohol. Something about the taste just reminds me of motor oil and the after taste of third-degree burns in your throat that some alcohol can leave you with is really not my favorite flavor. (I feel the same way about coffee. It just tastes gross.)

There are a few things I have found I like, but they tend to be things that are about 4% alcohol and taste like candy, which is probably why I like them. The main thing I have found that I like is Rekorderlig ("Recorder-lig"), which is a Swedish Cider. They have Apple, Strawberry-Lime, Pear, Wild Berries, Mango-Raspberry, Orange-Ginger, Apple & Blackcurrant, and for a limited time: Winter Cider (which is Apple, Cinnamon, and Vanilla flavored). I have actually only had Strawberry-Lime and Winter Cider (although I got Winter Cider cold and hot), and a taste of Wild Berries. And I would like to keep drinking these later in life, but they are not sold in the USA.

Looking on their site it is 30 pounds for a 24-pack of cans to be shipped to you, and 18 pounds for six of their glass bottles. It's a bit pricey. Amazon does not even cut you a deal on these, although it get it to the USA that might be where you would have to get it from. Maybe I'll ask for them for my birthday. Or maybe I've visit Canada lot since they do ship them there. I'm not sure, I haven't decided.

Besides Rekorderlig, I like something called WKD Blue, which literally tastes like blue raspberry Jolly Ranchers, as well as, Bailey's Irish Cream with hot chocolate. I also like Archer's Peach Schnapps, and Bacardi's Breezers. I also have recently been able to stand the taste of Rose Wine, although I do not like it. But I still make faces whenever I taste Red or White Wine. And I have not even tried the Beer because I know that I will hate it. Sorry, not sorry.

I really enjoy the drinking culture here much more than in America though. It seems like there is a lot less pressure to drink, and less of need to be drunk when out. As you could probably tell, I'm not really big on drinking so sometimes I will not go out because there also seems to be this need to be drunk to go out. And as always, this done depend on who you go with, where you are going, etc. but it is nice to just sit with your friends and have a nice chat while casually drinking a delicious Rekorderlig.

Until next time...

Embrace the Odd,
Caitlin

"Sometimes the cure for restlessness is rest." -Colleen Wainwright

No comments:

Post a Comment