Monday 22 October 2012

Keep Calm and Turn Off Then On

Sunday I woke up with the delightful ability to do nothing since I had nothing planned for the day. Well, I had planned to lay about for most of the day and try to finish up some homework, but nothing very pressing. I pretty much just laid in bed reading for a good hour before even trying to get up. And when I did, I, of course, wanted to check up on my emails, facebook messages, and posts on my blog. but sadly, I was discouraged from this by my laptop refusing to turn on.

The screen would light up a tad, recognizing that it needed to be on but then would just be completely black. I tried turning it off and on several times to which I got one loading icon that froze halfway through loading and was stuck there and several blank, black screens, occasionally coupled with horrendously loud beepings. I finally just left it while it was on a silent, black screen and waited until the battery died to see if it would change, it did not.

This was followed by me emailing my parents asking for suggestions as to what to do along with my flatmates. For the most part no one knew what was wrong or what to do, except to keep trying the on-off method. I tried it a few more times, which actually got me all the way logged on at one point and I was able to run a quick virus scan which showed that the computer was clean and clear. I was very pleased until I tried to run a full scan, just to be sure, and the entire laptop froze up and would not change until I had to, once again, force it to shut down.

We all eventually came to the idea that it must be the harddrive failing, since it seemed to be the only answer that made sense. (Athough, honestly none of us are particularly gifted with technology so it was really more of a scientific guess.) I decided to go to the "Service Desk" of my study abroad school the next morning and see if they could take a look at it.

The night came and went and it was finally time to go to the computer experts here. I had tried the laptop a few more times before leaving, but to no avail. So, I headed on my short journey to the "Service Desk" armed with my faulty laptop and some questions fearing the worst.

When I arrived, I was greeted by a pale woman with a thin face who seemed a bit less than thrilled to be there, which I understood since I felt the same way. 

I began to reach for my backpack as I walked up so I could pull out my laptop and show her the issues. 
"Hello. I have been having some issues with my laptop last few days and--," She cut me off with a slight raise of her hand.
"We don't work on computers here."
"But this is the Service Desk, right? It said there was a Computer Help section here."
"No, we don't work with computers here any more. We used to, but stopped about a year ago."
"Um... Ok... Well, can you tell me any suggestions as to where someone could look at my computer?"
"No. We are not able to give out suggestions. It is entirely up to you."

I was feeling pretty irritated and upset after my meeting with the "Service Desk". I had put a lot of eggs in that basket and it turned out there really was not even a basket to put them in. I walked home slowly and tried to think of what I could do next. If my laptop had seen it's last days, then fine. Sure I had recently decked it all out in amazingly geeky decals, but if I needed a new laptop then I needed a new one. Except how did I know if I needed a new one if no one could help me?

I returned home with the disheartening news to which one of my flatmates said her father would be visiting soon and he could probably look at it for me, which I really appreciated. I also decided that in the mean time I would email the IT department at my home university who had gotten me through several computer issues. They had found several of my missing papers on my laptop, eradicated a virus from it, and helped me with buying the very laptop I owned currently as well as other technological things. They also were always very friendly and helpful. So, I chose to email them and while asking for help tell them how much I appreciated all of their hard work and how I missed them more than my stuffed dog I had had since I was born.
They seemed to take well to the emotional bride and emailed back quickly with the same idea I had been thinking, that it sounded like the harddrive dying, but that they could not be sure since they were not there to physically see it. I then told my parents and spent the rest of the day sending about 500 emails to practically everyone I knew, all while typing on the tiny touch screen of my ipod. It was a glorious day.

And honestly, the beauty of it lives on. We have decided I need a new laptop but where we will get it or when it will get is are two very large, unanswered questions. We also do not know where to send it since, as I told you all earlier, we have had issues with the mail system here at the school.

Although, one good thing did happen today. I went to the hall office and found out that they have a computer room where I can go and type to my little heart's desire, as well as print (although that will cost me). The only issue was that my login was not working so I was still stuck working on a small touch screen, but at least I know I can go there if I need to!

Until next time...

Embrace the Odd,
Caitlin

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." -Mary Chase

No comments:

Post a Comment