Saturday 3 November 2012

Guy Fawkes and the Enthusiastic County Fair

Guy Fawkes is a holiday celebrated in London on the fifth of November. It celebrates Guy Fawkes and his followers' attempt at blowing up Parliament and the King at the time. The king was Protestant but Guy Fawkes and co. were Catholic and thought that once the government of England was gone Spain could take over, since they were also Catholics.

If you know the poem that starts with "Remember, Remember, the fifth of November," it is about Guy Fawkes. Or of you saw the movie "V for Vendetta" that is about him too.

The Brits commemorate Guy Fawkes by making a giant bonfire and throwing effigies of Guy into the flames and watching him burn away... Wow. That's not dark or anything.

I decided that I wanted to experience Guy Fawkes Day, or Bonfire Night, properly and go to an event for it. For some reason making a fire in a trashcan in my room just did not sound like it would do the day justice. (Or that it would be up to fire code.)


My flatmates and I ended up finding out about a big fireworks display that they were going to have in the nearby park and on the days leading up to November the third (it was moved to the weekend so more people could attend) lots of carnival rides started to appear in the park.

When we arrived at the festival today, we were greeted by a huge crowd of people that just seemed confused as to what they were doing. Several police, or people in yellow hi lighter jackets, directed everyone which lines to go to, but there was still a lot of general confusion. We paid for our tickets and entered a vast expanse of green grass.

The rides and attractions for the county fair like festival were very far away, and you had to track through strange sinking pits of mid on your way to the rides.

Once up to the rides, everything had a bizarre name. The machine, typically called the 'Scrambler', actually lacked a name, and the 'Merry-Go-Round' was called something like 'Golden Galloping Horses Patronized By Nobility of Great Britain'.

Can I be honest? That is a horrible name for a children's carnival ride. The parents will lean down to ask their over-zealous kid which ride theory want to go on first and then they have to spit out that whole mouth full of words? No, they will probably just call it the horse ride.

But there was also a fun house, a 'movie roller coaster' (the coaster did not move just a screen made it look like it did), spinning teacups, swings for children, something called 'Body Rock', and a ride reminiscent of an American one called 'Avalanche'. They were clearly missing a few key carnival rides like the 'Drop Zone' but they clearly were trying.

The food selection was limited as well. There were two 'Mulled Wine' stands, two candy stands, three classic British food stands, an American food stand, and a Donut/Cookie stand. There was also live music put on by a local radio station.

Amy bought some candy floss, or cotton candy, and ate out while we all discussed how they recalled needed some funnel cake there.

They evening's event then started as a large group of people gathered near the giant pile of wood that they would later burn. There were too any people to see clearly, but it seemed like there was a small play being put on were people with lit up helmets fought each other. I am not sure if that had to do with Guy Fawkes or is just something they chose to do for fun. There was someone talking while it went on but the live music kept going and drowned out anything they said. Although you could distinctly hear a bagpipe playing.

Afterwards, the fireworks began, which to be honest, I thought would not be very good. I just kept thinking of the fourth of July at home and how this would probably not be as good, but it actually was. I was very impressed, as were some college students near me who kept saying, 'Wow', 'Amazing', and 'That's like a proper planet'.

Then it was time for the flames. These two men in yellow coats lit some giant torches and then showed them deep into the pile of wood. The wood was actually set to look like some kind of giant throne with the Guy Fawkes Mask sitting on top of it.

Seconds after they lit it, the entire seat of the throne had caput on fire and blazed briefly before us. The back wall then lit and actually tumbled down into the seat area, taking the mask with it. Several cheers erupted from the crowd. The flames grew larger and larger as the wind powered it. I could actually feel the heat from it on my face while standing behind the barrier from the flames and a good distance into the crowd.
We stayed to watch the fire for a while, until the two sides fell in also and then headed home to eat some hot soup and grilled cheese sandwiches after such a chilly evening (besides the toasty fire that is).

It was a very fun and eventful evening, and it rekindled my love of Great Britain. The whole Halloween thing had me a bit down, but this definitely restarted it. I also think this might be England's equivalent of the 4th of July. Fireworks, classic food, and carnival rides? Sounds about right to me.

Until next time...

Embrace the Odd,
Caitlin

"I don't care what it is, when it has an LCD screen, it makes it better." -Kevin Rose

6 comments:

  1. Hey Caitlin! I laughed so much while reading this--I miss your humor! i would totally call the merry go round a horse ride too instead of that long name! haha
    Sounds like you're having a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Theresa! And I miss you too! England is nice, and very different! But its missing some key people, like you! I think Amy said you got the postcard, right? How are things going with you?

      Delete
  2. Aw you're too sweet! I got your postcard (thank you so much) and am in the process of sending you guys one back.
    Things are going well! I'm enjoying classes and working at Hallmark (It's officially Christmas season there if you can believe it). I just went to the mountains this weekend with a group from school! I'm also getting into painting and love that too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! And thanks! We love mail. :) Hallmark seems like an awesome place to work. There are so many cool items in those stores. I'm glad you are doing well though! And since there is no Thanksgiving here, people have been getting ready for Christmas since Halloween. It is weird. Camping and painting are great! What do you usually paint? I really want to get into watercolors, but I am really bad at it, haha. :) For fun here, I usually end up baking, haha.

      Delete
  3. yeah, I love my job! very fun!
    No Thanksgiving?! mind blown :) I guess they must really be in the Christmas spirit then! That's kind of how it was at Hallmark--we had Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas stuff out all at the same time. haha
    I really like painting landscapes and abstract forms/patterns, normally with acrylic. I definitely want to try watercolor too! What do you like to paint?
    oooo baking! that's exciting--i've been on a pumpkin baking kick recently. I just made pumpkin cake with a gingerbread crust. yumm-- if i could send some to England, I would! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do not paint that much. Although the last couple of years I have done different painting projects as gifts for people. I painted an old window with different scenes from Peter Pan for one of my friends, and the last two summers one of my friends and I have painted end tables for our dorm rooms. Her's ended up have the four seasons on the legs and a night scene on the top, while mine is covered in things from Lord of the Rings, haha. So, I'm not really sure what I like to paint... But those sound awesome!
      Yum! Pumpkin and gingerbread sound amazing! Pumpkin is actually really hard to find here. We had Libby's mom bring us some canned pumpkin when she came to visit so we could cook with it.

      Delete